Industrialist, philanthropist, politician and a man of Bolton who never forgot his roots, William Hesketh Lever, the First Lord Leverhulme, was a remarkable man. He became a Governor of Bolton Grammar School in 1898 and in 1913 made the magnificent offer of a joint endowment to the High School for Girls and the Grammar School for Boys on condition that the two should be equal partners known as Bolton School (Boys’ and Girls’ Divisions). He wanted the new School to be non-denominational, autonomous, and accessible to all.
The Bolton School Foundation formally came into being on 1 April 1915. 100 years on, the School continues to honour this extraordinary display of generosity and foresight.